Do you need to register a company and you prefer to have a professional service handle the paperwork for you? Swyft Filings is one of several companies that can get the job done.
In this review, we’ll talk about the important details you need to know before choosing their service. Alternatively, you can check out our comparison guide of the top business formation services or top online LLC services.
Swyft Filings Scored 6/10
When it comes to online incorporation services, here’s what matters most:
- Is it a good deal?
- Is it a reliable company?
- Is there good customer support?
- Is the incorporation website easy to use?
- How quickly do they incorporate your business?
Based on these criteria, we scored Swyft Filings 6/10. We’ll get into the details below, but one of the main reasons for the low score is the fact that their registered agent service isn’t included with any of their formation packages, and it costs $149 extra per year.
Plus, they charge additional fees for some features we’ve seen for free with other similar services.
On the plus side, the company guarantees same-day filing for all documents, and their two least-expensive packages have reasonable price points. They even offer to split the cost up of forming a business over two payments, which can be helpful if your business doesn’t have a lot of money to work with in the startup phase.
Quick Note: If you’re on the hunt for the most affordable incorporation service available, consider ZenBusiness. They offer the lowest prices in the industry ($39) with tons of included features.
In Depth: Swyft Filings Review
Swyft Filings Overall Pricing and Value – 6/10
Swyft Filings has attractive price points, but the overall value of those packages ends up being a bit underwhelming.
Their Basic package only costs $49, which is a highly competitive price point on the surface, but doesn’t include any extra features outside of helping you to establish your business, and providing a company alerts system.
Their Standard package is still pretty reasonable for the price, but their Deluxe package is significantly more expensive without adding much value. In addition, their registered agent service costs $149 extra for the year. If this service was included as a feature on their packages, it would provide much-needed value.
Similar to a couple of other incorporation services, there was a lot of fluff added into the features of their packages to make it look like you’re getting more than you really are.
Plus, some of the features they highlight are actually through a third party – which we are always wary of. In fact, half of the features included with the Basic package are third-party partnership offers.
Track Record – 8/10
Founded by an attorney in 2012, Swyft Filings entered the online incorporation business much more recently than some other similar services. Their length of time in business isn’t even in the “About Us” on their website ― we found that info on the Better Business Bureau website.
When it comes to customer reviews, Swyft Filings has a major advantage. In fact, we would say that client feedback is one of their major strengths, because they have well over 20,000 reviews available online, and more than 90% of them are either 4- or 5-star ratings.
In their reviews, Swyft Filings customers frequently discuss the strong support they receive (more on this momentarily…), often thanking their service representatives by name. They also seem to enjoy the ease of use they get from Swyft Filings, as many of their clients mention how simple it was to set up their new businesses.
Overall, although Swyft Filings is a rather recent addition to the online incorporation service industry, they have already put together an impressive track record that serves as one of their most inviting attributes.
Customer Support – 8/10
Swyft Filings offers phone, email, and chat support from 10am to 7pm ET on weekdays. We reached out via each channel to see for ourselves how their response times were, as well as to determine the quality of their support. We were impressed with the response times for all, although the answers we received were rather basic.
When we reached out via chat, we were connected to a customer service rep almost instantly. The entire chat time was less than one minute, and our question was answered promptly, but not expanded upon.
We received a similar response via email within about four hours, which was the fastest email response time we’ve received across all incorporation companies. Most of their competitors seem to have response times of around 24 hours for email support, but Swyft Filings really lives up to their name in this regard.
Finally, we tested their phone support, again receiving a similar response. We were only on hold for a little over a minute, and when we were connected with a representative, they politely answered our question quickly and concisely.
Overall, we appreciate their fast response times regardless of which method we used to reach out to them. They also aren’t pushy or overly salesy, although the one very minor drawback is that none of their reps expanded on their answer ― they responded accurately, but did not provide any additional information.
Ease of Placing an Order – 6/10
Once you’ve selected a package and any add-ons you need for your business, the application process doesn’t take long ― maybe 10-15 minutes at the most, as long as you have all of the information you need.
It is important to remember that they don’t include registered agent service with any of their formation packages, like some of their competitors do. The benefit of having a registered agent is that it protects your personal information by allowing you to use Swyft Filings’ address to receive important document deliveries, and it also cuts down on junk mail.
While you can add registered agent service to your order, the application makes doing so a little confusing. After putting in your information, you can select to have Swyft Filings designate a business address for you, with a price tag of $29 per month (first month free).
However, later on in the application process, you can select to have them serve as your registered agent. While it appears that the first option is more of a full-service mail forwarding option instead of registered agent service, they don’t make it clear at all what the difference between these choices is.
Once you get through those options, you will have the opportunity to add a business license and permit package to your formation. This feature researches with the federal, state, and local government which licenses, permits, and/or registrations your company may need to operate in compliant fashion. They then send you the applications, and all you need to do is fill them out and submit them to your state.
Overall Turnaround Time – 9/10
Swyft Filings promises same or next business day processing. This doesn’t guarantee faster processing once paperwork reaches the state, but rather ensures that they never take more than a day or so to submit your documents to your formation state.
Depending on your state’s expediting options, Swyft Filings will also provide rush service with your state government, for an additional fee of course.
Whether you choose standard or expedited service, they will provide you with a time estimate for your specific state as you’re selecting a package. All told, their turnaround times are quite competitive with other companies in this industry.
Pricing & Features of Swyft Filings
Swyft Filings offers three packages, which we will break down below. The Basic option offers good overall value for an entrepreneur who is looking for minimal assistance in forming their LLC or corporation. While their Standard package adds some valuable features at a reasonable price, their Premium package is much more expensive and adds very little value.
It’s important to note that Swyft Filings does not include registered agent service with any of their LLC or corporation formation packages, and this feature costs $149 per year to add on.
Also, Swyft Filings charges you an extra $20 for “electronic delivery” of your documents after they have been filed with the state, if you choose the Basic or Standard packages. This is something that is provided for free by almost all other online incorporation services, and it’s also a confusing feature because every package already includes “online access to your formation documents.” It seems that the extra $20 fee is for the “immediate delivery” of these forms, but either way it’s definitely a feature they could explain better.
This Package Is Best For: Entrepreneurs who simply want to form an LLC or corporation without any bells or whistles.
The Basic package costs $49 plus the state filing fee, and includes the following features:
- Name availability search – Swyft Filings will search your state’s business database to make sure that your desired company name is available, and hasn’t already been claimed by another business entity.
- Preparation and filing of articles of organization (LLC) or incorporation (corporation) – They will create your formation documents, then submit them to your state government to officially form your new business.
- Statement of the organizer/incorporator – This form can help you open a business bank account, because it indicates who has the authority to do so as an initial director or member.
- Online access to documents – After your business is formed, you can access your formation documents on their website.
- ComplianceGuard company alerts system – Swyft Filings’ corporate compliance tool keeps you informed of due dates for filings like annual reports.
This Package Is Best For: Entrepreneurs who want to form an LLC or corporation, while also getting an EIN and helpful documents for operating your business.
The Standard package costs $149 plus the state filing fee. This package includes everything from the Basic package, plus:
- Federal tax ID number (EIN) – Swyft Filings will acquire your EIN, which you’ll need if you want to hire employees, and it also helps you pay business taxes, open business bank accounts, etc. You can acquire your own EIN from the IRS for free, but this feature removes that hassle.
- Banking resolution – This form can be used to help open a business bank account, but it’s entirely unnecessary when this package already includes an EIN, and all Swyft Filings formation packages also include a statement of the organizer/incorporator, which serves the same purpose.
- Custom meeting minutes – Minutes provide an outline for your official business meetings, and also provide space to take notes on what happens at those meetings. While minutes are only required for corporations, Swyft Filings provides them for LLCs as well.
- Custom operating agreement -This internal document outlines how the business will be governed from both managerial and financial standpoints.
- Custom bylaws – The bylaws are the internal rules and regulations for the daily operations of the corporation, including items like how many directors are on the board, when/where shareholder meetings are held, etc.
This Package Is Best For: We do not recommend this package for any of our readers.
The Premium package is $299 plus state filing fees. It includes everything from the Standard package, plus:
- Digital business kit and seal – A digital graphic “seal” with your company info on it, plus 20 custom stock certificates and an ownership ledger.
- Electronic document delivery – As we mentioned above, it’s unclear how this is any different than the “online access to your documents” that’s included in all Swyft Filings packages, other than the use of the word “immediate” in the feature description.
- FedEx shipping – The Standard and Basic packages include USPS 1st Class mail, but the Premium package upgrades this to FedEx, and also includes a tracking number.
How Does Swyft Filings Work?
With Swyft Filings, you’ll need to complete five primary steps; after that, they’ll form your business for you. Here’s a quick overview of what you can expect if you use Swyft:
- Customize your package: After you select your state and the business you want to form, you’ll need to select the package you want. You can also add on several features, such as registered agent service or getting an Employer Identification Number.
- Establish a Primary Contact for your business: This section is brief, but Swyft needs to know who to call if there is a question about your paperwork. You’ll need to provide a name, email address, and phone number for this person.
- Business Information: Here, you provide Swyft with everything it needs to know about your business, including your desired business name, the management of your business, and more.
- Compliance: Here, Swyft helps you get set-up for maintaining your business each year and getting ready for taxes. Some of these include add-ons, such as getting an EIN from the IRS or getting Swyft’s license assistance package.
- Place order: In this final step, you can confirm your purchase and, with your credit card on hand, pay any necessary fees. It’s important to note that your total purchase price includes your state’s fee and Swyft’s.
Who is Swyft Filings Best for?
Swyft filings is best for entrepreneurs who need their business formed quickly and for a low price. Their turnaround times are some of the fastest in the industry.
Unfortunately, they’re not the most cost-effective option out there. That honor goes to Incfile and ZenBusiness. Many of their packages are pricey compared to their competitors when compared side-by-side. That said, if you want a basic, simple business formation service without any extras, their Basic package is a good option.
What are Customers Saying?
The best feature of Swyft is their customer reviews; most of them are positive. Many customers mention their service representative by name, too, so their staff members clearly make a good impression.
Here are the things customers love about Swyft:
- Excellent, professional customer service representatives
- Easy and simple to use
- Fast service
And here are some features customers didn’t love so much:
- Unsubscribing from their service is tricky
- Business address service is confusing
- Cheaper to complete the process yourself
We often see the complaint that it’s cheaper to form the business yourself; honestly, that’s the case with any business formation service. What you pay for is the convenience of having someone else do it. And we agree with the confusion surrounding their business address service. But all told, Swyft Filings really shines in their customer service.
LegalZoom vs. Swyft Filings: What’s the Difference?
We get lots of questions about LegalZoom, because they have the most brand power in the industry, thanks to their large advertising budget. Overall, we usually recommend Swyft Filings when compared to LegalZoom, because their $49 base price point is much lower than what LegalZoom charges.
Here are a few primary differences:
- LegalZoom has an impressive customer volume of more than 3.6 million customers. Over a million of those customers are businesses, giving them one of the most impressive client lists in the industry.
- Swyft Filings lives up to their name; they have one of the fastest processing times in the entire industry. If you need your business started pronto, they’re a great choice. Their customer support is pretty quick, too.
- In addition, Swyft Filings’ outstanding customer reviews are a major advantage compared to LegalZoom’s mixed bag of client feedback.
Final Thoughts on Swyft Filings
Overall, Swyft Filings is a bit of a mixed bag. Their customer feedback is fantastic, so it’s clear that their client satisfaction levels are quite high.
They also have strong customer support, both in our own experience and as it pertains to their public perception. Swyft Filings also really lives up to their name, as they have quick processing times for incorporating online.
The issues come when you start focusing in on their formation packages themselves. The fact that none of them include any registered agent service is a disadvantage, and their Premium package feels significantly overpriced for what you’re getting.
Depending on your unique business needs, Swyft Filings could be a strong option to form your LLC or corporation, but for the reasons we’ve highlighted above, they’re not going to be the best choice for all of our readers. If you’d like to look into an alternative, check out ZenBusiness, one of our favorite services.
What is Swyft Filings?
Swyft Filings joined the online business formation scene in 2012. Their founder—a lawyer himself—wanted to make it easier for entrepreneurs to form their own business without the hassle and expense of hiring a lawyer.
Their staff members are all business incorporation specialists, and they specialize in forming small and medium-sized businesses.
Since its formation, Swyft Filings has created more than 10,000 businesses. And they live up to their name; they’re one of the fastest formation services out there. But what customers appreciate more is their excellent customer service (more on that in a moment).
What Are Swyft Filings’ Biggest Advantage and Disadvantage?
The biggest advantage for Swyft Filings is their customer feedback. With well over 20,000 reviews available, and very high average rating scores, it’s clear that their clients are overwhelmingly pleased with their services.
Their biggest disadvantage is that their pricing and features don’t always add up to a solid value, especially considering how many third-party partnership offers they push on their clients.
What is Swyft’s Order Process Like?
Have you ever tried to order something online, only to get lost in a never-ending series of cluttered web pages? The harder it is to order a service, the less likely you are to use it. Streamlined ordering is an important component of any good formation service.
Swyft’s order process seems simple enough at first, but there are a couple confusing spots along the way. You start out by choosing your package and add-ons, and then inputting your business information. If you already have all the information you need, this process takes about ten to fifteen minutes.
Here’s where the confusion comes: Swyft offers to designate a business address for you for a fee of $29 per month (the first month is free). But they also offer registered agent service. Swyft doesn’t make it clear what the difference is between the two, though. (We suspect that the former is just a mail forwarding service and the registered agent service is a more in-depth service, but it’s tough to say for sure).
Just before the payment section, you can also opt-in to their permit and license program. If you select this package, Swyft will send you the applications you need to complete. It’s a step you can complete yourself, but sometimes it’s nice to have help.
If I Use Swyft Filings, Which Features Should I Buy?
We usually recommend that our readers buy a package that includes both the formation of your business entity and registered agent service, but Swyft Filings doesn’t include registered agent in any of their packages like ZenBusiness and Incfile do.
With that in mind, we would recommend their $49 Basic package. Then, you can either add registered agent from Swyft Filings for $149, or you can acquire this service from one of their competitors for a better price.
Do They Offer Publication Service?
In some states, you need to publish your company’s formation in a regional newspaper. For example, Arizona and Nebraska require publication for LLCs and corporations, New York requires it for LLCs only, and Pennsylvania and Georgia have this requirement for corporations only.
While quite a few of their competitors don’t offer assistance with publication, Swyft Filings does. It’s a nice advantage for those of you forming businesses in states that require it.
Does Swyft Filings Help With Ongoing Compliance Requirements?
They do, but they don’t include these features in their formation packages, with the exception of their ComplianceGuard company alerts which keeps you informed of important filing deadlines. If you want registered agent service, you’ll need to spend an extra $149 per year, and their annual report service costs $99 (plus state fee).
What Is Their Refund Policy?
Swyft Filings has the best refund policy in this entire industry. Their 100% satisfaction guarantee says that they will refund your money for any reason at any time, and they don’t even charge a cancellation or processing fee to do so.