Need to incorporate a business and prefer to have a professional service handle the paperwork? LegalZoom is one of several companies that can get the job done. In this review, we’ll talk about the important details you need to know before choosing their service. Alternatively, you can check out our comparison guide of the top incorporation services or top LLC services.
When it comes to online incorporation services, here’s what matters most:
- Is it a good deal?
- Is it a reliable company?
- Is there good customer support?
- Is the website easy to use?
- How quickly do they incorporate?
The LegalZoom customer service impressed us, but it still wasn’t enough to make up for the high prices of packages and features.
In our opinion, the main reason someone should choose LegalZoom is if they want to use the best-known service, and don’t mind paying a premium rate.
Guru Tip: If you’re on a tighter budget but don’t want to sacrifice quality, check out our services at ZenBusiness. We’ll incorporate your business for free!
In-Depth: LegalZoom Review
LegalZoom Overall Pricing and Value
As we mentioned above, LegalZoom is one of the most popular incorporation services available, but we found that does not translate into better value for their customers. While LegalZoom offers a $149 package to incorporate (and a $79 package for LLC service), the number of upsells can get overwhelming — and expensive. Long story short, you might end up spending significantly more through LegalZoom because of this.
LegalZoom was founded in 1999, and they’ve served more than 6 million customers since then. While their focus isn’t solely on business formation services, they have helped form more than 2 million businesses to date. If you look through LegalZoom customer reviews on any third-party site, you will almost always find many more positive reviews than negative ones. Overall, LegalZoom customers seem to be mostly satisfied but their average review scores are often just slightly lower than some competitors.
LegalZoom offers phone and email support. We reached out twice via the email form on their site, but it took them a full week to respond. The response we received was generic, thanking us for reaching out, but not answering our question. We were referred to call their support number.
When we reached out via phone, our question was answered very thoroughly. The representative went into detail about our different options, and then sent us an email with their direct extension so that we could reach out directly with any follow-up questions. Of course we know that they would love to make a sale, but it’s that extra help that can really make a difference for an entrepreneur starting a business. Overall, while their phone support is good, their online customer service could be improved.
Ease of Placing an Order
The ordering process with LegalZoom is quite different than that of other online business formation services. While it’s not more complicated to use, it can easily lead you to spend more money than you intended.
Instead of showing you the package options up front and then walking you through the order process, you begin entering your personal info first. Once you make it to the package options, you’re pretty invested in the process – even if it only takes 15 minutes of your time to get there.
Overall, it was easy to walk through each step. Our only complaint is that there are a series of rather pricey upsells that occur before even choosing a package option. They clearly explain each one and why you might need the additional features, but we would personally like to see those come after you select a package and have a base price in your mind to work from.
It’s also important to note that they have a different application “flow” for LLCs and corporations. Most other incorporation services offer very similar packages and features for both. We highlight below the similarities and differences regarding features vs. cost so you can make the best decision for your business.
Overall Turnaround Time
LegalZoom doesn’t specifically explain their own turnaround time for filing with the state, but they do offer an estimated total turnaround for each of their packages. With their most expensive package, you could receive your finalized business formation documents in 7-10 business days, but their cheaper packages take as long as 30 business days (six weeks).
That said, in many states, LegalZoom’s turnaround times are similar to that of other incorporation services.
LegalZoom Pricing & Features
It’s important to note that unlike some other incorporation services out there, LegalZoom has two separate package offerings for LLCs and corporations.
LLC Optional Add-ons
First, let’s take a look at the “add-ons” that LegalZoom offers before you make it to the package selection. As we mentioned earlier, LegalZoom starts you out in the application by inputting all of your future business’ information before finally selecting a package at the end of the process.
As you walk through the screens, you’ll be offered the following mini-packages of add-on items:
1) Registered agent service – The first upsell you’ll be offered during the LegalZoom LLC formation process is for their registered agent service. For a rate of $249-299 per year, LegalZoom will receive your important government documents, scanning and forwarding them to you in a timely manner.
In this step, you have two choices. You can either choose to subscribe to LegalZoom’s registered agent service, or you can elect to appoint a different registered agent.
2) Essential documents – The second option you will be offered is for a variety of business documents. The pricing for these add-ons is structured as follows:
- Operating agreement – $99
- Operating agreement plus federal tax ID number (EIN) – $159
- Operating agreement, EIN, and assistance acquiring permits and licenses – $199
An operating agreement describes how your business will function regarding management and finances.
As for the EIN, this is a necessary aspect of nearly all American businesses, because it allows you to hire employees, pay business taxes, open business bank accounts, etc. However, you can get an EIN for free by simply requesting one from the IRS.
Finally, most companies do require permits and licenses to operate in a compliant fashion. These could be on the federal, state, county, or local level. With this feature, LegalZoom will research the permits and licenses needed by your business, and provide you with the applications.
3) Legal assistance – The next upsell attempt involves LegalZoom’s legal services subscription package. For $39.99 per month, they will provide HR documents like employment agreements, along with attorney advice sessions and more.
4) Compliance assistance – Next up is LegalZoom’s Total Compliance package. According to their description, this includes annual report service, help with corporate recordkeeping, and assistance keeping your personal and business assets separate. This service costs $280 per year.
LLC Formation Packages
Economy for $79
Best for: Entrepreneurs looking for the bare minimum when forming an LLC.
This package costs $79, plus the state filing fee. Features listed for this package are:
- Name availability confirmation
- Preparation of articles of organization
- Document filing with the state
- Financial account authorization letter
- Access to a “Next Steps” guide for what to do once your business is formed
Standard for $329
Best for: Entrepreneurs creating an LLC who want a symbolic organizational binder and seal.
The Standard package costs $329 plus the state filing fee, which is $230 more expensive than the Economy package. Along with all of the features from Economy, you’ll also receive:
- A binder and a company seal personalized with your business name
- 20 company membership certificates
Express Gold for $349
Best for: Entrepreneurs needing to register an LLC as quickly as possible.
The complete package is $349 plus state filing fees. Although it appears that you get several additional features with their largest package, you’re really just getting the expedited formation of your LLC.
For the additional $20 compared to the Standard package, your LLC will be completed in 7-10 business days, and also offer express shipping of your documents.
The application process to form a corporation is much more in-depth than forming an LLC. Before getting to your options, you’ll be prompted to sign up for registered agent service. When it comes to the corporation-specific upsells, LegalZoom offers the following add-ons during the formation process.
Corporation Optional Add-ons
1) Essential documents – Similar to the way they present these options for LLCs, you’ll have an opportunity to add the following documents to your order:
- Bylaws and resolutions – $99
- Bylaws/resolutions plus EIN – $159
- Bylaws/resolutions, EIN, and business licenses – $249
2) Tax service – Through their partner Affordable Tax, you’ll receive assistance with the preparation and filing of your state and federal business income tax returns. They also provide professional advice, and the total cost is $320/year.
3) Legal assistance – This is the same as the legal services plan offered for LLCs, except the pricing is entirely different. This feature still includes legal and HR documents, 30-minute legal consultations, etc., but instead of the $480/year it costs for an LLC, corporations only have to pay $320/year.
4) Compliance options – With this feature, they’ll take care of your annual reports, and they’ll supply you with their Minutes Manager tool to electronically track and format your corporation’s meeting minutes. This add-on costs $280/year.
Economy for $149
Best for: Entrepreneurs looking for the bare minimum when incorporating online.
The Economy package costs $149. For this price you’ll receive:
- Name availability confirmation
- Document filing with the state
- “Next Steps” guide
- Free trial offers from 1-800-Accountant
Standard for $329
Best for: Entrepreneurs creating a corporation who want custom stock certificates and an organizational binder.
The Standard package costs $329. For $180 more than the Economy package, you’ll receive:
- 20 customized stock certificates
- Incorporation kit for managing your business documents, embossed with your company name and a corporate seal
Express Gold for $349
Best for: Entrepreneurs needing to register a corporation as quickly as possible.
The Express Gold package costs $349. For your additional $20 over the Standard package, you’ll receive rush service of your business incorporation (7-10 business days) and two-day delivery of your final documents.
How Does Their Service Work?
If you use LegalZoom to start a business, you can expect to start by choosing your state and what entity you want to form.
Then, you’ll get started by typing in your desired business name. After that, you can expect to enter additional information about your business, such as who will manage it, who the members are, and more.
Once you’ve made your purchase, LegalZoom will complete your desired service, filing your business formation paperwork for you.
What Are LegalZoom’s Customers Saying?
With over two million businesses formed, LegalZoom has thousands of reviews. And those reviews are mostly positive, with a much smaller volume of negative feedback mixed in.
Here’s a fly-by of the positive reviews:
- Well-known, established brand
- More convenient than meeting with a local lawyer
- Quick and helpful customer service representatives, especially over the phone
And here’s what customers complained about:
- Delays in order processing
- Confusing pricing
- Pricier than competitors
Ultimately, LegalZoom’s reviews are mostly positive, although not to as overwhelming a degree as some competitors, like ZenBusiness and Incfile.
They’re not the fastest or the cheapest service, but they do offer a unique blend of services that other companies lack.
ZenBusiness vs LegalZoom: What’s the Difference?
On the surface, LegalZoom and ZenBusiness seem to accomplish the same purpose: helping you form your LLC or corporation. And while that’s true, the difference between them goes much deeper than that.
- LegalZoom has been in business for longer than ZenBusiness, and has formed over 2 million businesses.
- As a Public Benefit Corporation, ZenBusiness gives back to support women- and minority-owned small businesses with its Pay-It-Forward initiative.
- LegalZoom offers more expensive packages and sends more upsells your way during the order process, so it’s easy to spend more than you intended with them.
- ZenBusiness is far more affordable. You’ll save $79 or more by using our LLC services, and we can save you $149 on incorporation service.
Final Thoughts on LegalZoom
The LegalZoom application process is lengthier and includes more upsells than any other business formation website out there.
However, their customer service via phone is strong, and we appreciated their patience in answering several questions, explaining the process, and being thorough in their responses. That earned a lot of credit for us even though we recognize that their ultimate goal is to make a sale.
One final benefit to using LegalZoom over other companies is that they offer an array of other services. So, if you’re looking for an attorney or intellectual property service, you can do it all in one place with LegalZoom.
What is LegalZoom?
LegalZoom is a web-based, one-stop shop for online legal services. From business formation services to estate planning to trademark acquisition (and many points in between), LegalZoom has your back.
The LegalZoom idea hatched in 1999, when their founders envisioned a world with affordable, accessible legal advice for all. That dream became a reality in 2001. Since then, LegalZoom has formed more than 2,000,000 businesses and advised more than 6,000,000 people. They’ve even expanded to the United Kingdom.
LegalZoom’s claim to fame is simply how comprehensive it is; their network of lawyers spans all 50 states, and you can get legal advice on just about anything.
What Are LegalZoom’s Biggest Advantage and Disadvantage?
Experience matters and LegalZoom has a ton of it. They’ve been around for decades, and they’ve helped millions of customers. They’ve even formed more than 2 million businesses! Their longevity and customer volume are their biggest advantage.
When it comes to disadvantages, we think their pricing is rather unappealing. Especially considering that none of their LLC or incorporation service packages include annual reports or registered agent service, their price points are simply too high to compete with some similar services.
What Is the LegalZoom Order Process Like?
Have you ever tried to order something online, only to get lost in a never-ending series of cluttered web pages? The harder it is to order a service, the less likely you are to use it. Streamlined ordering is an important component of any good formation service.
Under our pricing review, we mentioned that LegalZoom doesn’t give you the breakdown of their packages (unless you specifically click a separate link that leads away from the order form) until you’ve already clicked through their add-ons.
To be fair, it’s easy to follow — the web pages are simple enough — and LegalZoom does a good job explaining what each add-on does.
Do They Offer Publication Service?
There are a handful of states that require you to publish proof of your business formation in a local newspaper: Arizona and Nebraska require publication for LLCs and corporations, New York requires it for LLCs only, and Pennsylvania and Georgia have this requirement for corporations only.
Unfortunately, LegalZoom does not offer assistance with publication requirements, so you’ll either need to do it yourself or contact one of their competitors.
Does LegalZoom Help With Ongoing Compliance Requirements?
They do, but unfortunately they don’t bundle any of these features into their LLC or incorporation service package. If you want LegalZoom to serve as your registered agent, you’ll need to pay them $249-299 per year extra. They also offer annual report service, which has a more reasonable price point of just $55.
What Is Their Refund Policy?
LegalZoom’s satisfaction guarantee is one of the strongest refund policies in this industry. They give you 60 days to analyze your purchase and determine if you think it was worth the money. If you decide to request a refund, they will grant one with no questions asked, and they don’t charge any cancellation fees to process refunds.